Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Corn Bread



I should have been born a southerner because I love corn bread. All these years I've made my 'home made' corn bread by dumping a box of Jiffy mix into a bowl and adding milk and an egg. When I found this recipe for corn bread and discovered it's only a bit more work than opening a box, I turned my back on Jiffy forever (but we can still be friends, 'kay?)



Here is my modified version of this corn bread recipe. I cut out some of the sugar and used unsweetened applesauce instead of oil which worked great--neither my husband or I could tell the difference.


Corn Bread

1 C all-purpose flour
1 C yellow cornmeal
1/3 C sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
3 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 egg
1 C milk
1/3 C unsweetened apple sauce

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray or grease a 9 inch round cake pan

In a large bowl combine all dry ingredients; stir in egg, milk and applesauce until well combined. Pour into pan and bake 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

No comments: