Wednesday, March 28, 2007

BBQ Beef Sandwiches



Isn't it nice when a recipe that tastes really good also happens to be very healthy too? I'm not much on searching for excellent low-fat, low-calorie recipes. If I happen to run across one that looks good to me, then great--I'll try it out. But I'm not going to go out of my way to find them. There's just too many other wonderful recipes with things like real butter, or cheese, or chocolate in them calling me, tempting me with their fatty goodness. What is the good of avoiding takeouts and boxed and canned foods if you can't live it up a little in the foods you make yourself?

I tried this recipe because it looked good and it is. It's a weight watchers recipe, but as usual by the time I get done doubling the sauce and adding extra KC Masterpiece sauce on the finished product, it no longer resembles anything dietetic. I also use pork loin rather than beef, but I think that's a push calorie-wise. It's the other white meat, right?

BBQ Beef 7.5 points
2 1/2 lb. lean boneless chuck roast
1/4 C tomato ketchup
1 T Dijon style mustard
2 T brown sugar
1 garlic clove, minced or crushed
2 T red wine vinegar
1/4 tsp. liquid smoke flavoring
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
10 French rolls or sandwich buns

Place meat in a slow cooker. Combine remaining ingredients, except rolls (duh). Pour over meat. Cover and cook on LOW 8 to 9 hours (I don't usually cook it this long). Shred meat by pulling it apart with 2 forks. Place on buns and top with leftover sauce if desired. Serves 10-12 (or if you eat like me and my husband, serves 6)

1 comment:

Sean Carey said...

These recipes look awesome! Do you take the photos as well?

So I posted the outline for my paper, and I thought you might like to see what's developing. If you think of something I should include please let me know, and I'll send you a copy of it when it's finished, if you like.

On the note of cooking -

Living in a small apartment forces me to substitute ingredients much of the time...sometimes it's a good thing, and sometimes...yuck!

We have potatoes alot, so if you post a recipe for them, I'll check it out!